Friday, December 2, 2016

Yes, I Will Spoil My Kids On Christmas

No, you won't make me feel guilty about it.

All year long, our family lives on an extremely tight budget. There isn't much wiggle room. Pay bills, buy groceries, and that is pretty much it. We rarely eat out, the majority of my kids clothes are from thrift stores, hand-me-downs, yard sales, or clearance items. We don't go on big vacations, we don't go on shopping trips to the mall, we rarely buy anything we don't NEED. However, we save money to have a big, huge Christmas day. My kids get brand new clothing, new shoes, brand new toys, items they have asked for throughout the year, plus more. Our tree is surrounded by presents. Our tiny house is overwhelmed with the Christmas spirit.

Our family gives all year. We donate, we volunteer, we live our lives to love and serve others before ourselves. But, this one day a year, I get to spoil my kids without having an ounce of guilt. We get to watch them open present and present, watching their eyes light up every time they unwrap something they have been asking for all year. Things we had to tell them "no" to, because it wasn't in the budget.

My husband and I raise our kids to serve others. Whenever we volunteer our time, or donate our possessions or money, our kids are right there with us, watching and involved. They see our example of giving.

They also get to pick out presents for their siblings. They are thrilled when their sibling opens the gift they wrapped them and are excited. It's a win-win.

We understand, as a family, the true meaning of Christmas. It's not about the gifts. It's about Jesus. It's about giving, not receiving. But, I shouldn't feel guilty for wanting to, once a year, spend extra money on my kids.

I won't feel guilty on Christmas. I will soak in the excitement. I will embrace the giggles. I will watch them jump for joy for a toy they have wanted for months... right there in their hands.

Yes, I'm going to spoil my kids on Christmas. No, you won't make me feel guilty about it.



No comments:

Post a Comment