Sunday, August 28, 2016

Saving Money:My Top 9 Ways to Save on Groceries




We are a family that is 100% behind saving money while buying groceries. This is one area that the budget can change depending on what you buy, how you buy, and when you buy. I had a list of ways I save money on groceries, but I also called out on Facebook for some ideas from you all. You all had some wonderful ideas, so they have also been added to the list! Thank you for your feedback.

From an earlier post, I talked about my monthly meal planning and I mentioned grocery shopping, but I thought I would go more in to detail of how I save on groceries. Our family is on a very strict, tight budget, so if I can save money anywhere, I do it. A few dollars here and there add up really quick.

So, here it is...

My Top 9 List of Saving Money on Groceries!

1. MEAL PLAN! MEAL PLAN! MEAL PLAN!!!!!
I can't say this enough. To go more in depth on my monthly meal planning, check out my other blog post. But seriously, you can save hundreds a month, thousands a year, by just making a meal plan for the month and sticking to it. There is never an excuse about having to order take-out or drive through because of poor planning. There is always a meal ready to go. Know your schedule, if on Wednesday's you have a meeting until 6, that is slow cooker night, or build your own sandwich night. Something quick, easy, and fills bellies. My number one is MEAL PLAN! Many of you on Facebook also mentioned meal planning. It is seriously the most vital way to save money on food!

Here is the link to the meal planning blog post:

http://thevillageformoms.blogspot.com/2016/08/monthly-meal-planning.html


2. BUDGET!
Don't go to the grocery store blind. Know exactly the amount of money you have to spend. Do NOT go over that budget. We have a very strict budget that is the same on the 1st and the 15th. I have my staple foods that I always get and I know how much (generally) those foods will cost. If my cart is getting full and I know I am creeping up to the budget, I will reevaluate what is in my cart. Is it all NEEDED items? Is there a name brand item I have in the cart that can be exchanged for an off-brand item? Stick to the budget. It is really really important. The longer you do it, the more you realize where you can save to get the biggest bang for your buck.

3. LISTS! PENS! CALCULATOR!
Yes, I'm THAT shopper. I never walk into the grocery store without a list in my hand, a pen in the other hand and my calculator sitting on the diaper bag. Usually my oldest (5 years old, learning to read) will hold the list and as we walk through the store we play a game with it. I say, "We have milk in the cart. M-I-L-K. Find that on the list and cross it off". It keeps him busy and he has an 'important' job. I write out a detailed list after I do my monthly meal plan (Check out the other post) and I stick to the list. Always. We cross off what we have in the cart, I check the price, write it down and keep a running tab of what we have spent. We live in California, so there is no sales tax on groceries. So, I don't have to factor that in. When we lived in Idaho, instead of trying to calculate sales tax while shopping, I rounded everything up to the nearest dollar. Even if the price was $1.30. I rounded it up to $2.00. Because, no matter what, you will end up under budget! So, take the time before shopping to write out a list, BRING THE LIST, cross things off of the list, keep track of the price amount and keep adding as you go. That's why I bring a calculator. I'm not great at quick math.

4. USE CASH!
To be honest, this one is hard for me. I've done it both ways. Cash and Debit Card. The easy thing about a debit card is if I go OVER budget the money is in the account anyway, it won't hurt much, right? Eh. Using cash MAKES ME stick to the budget. You only have so much cash in your wallet. That is all you can spend. It makes you REALLY think about what you are putting into that cart. So, before you head to the store, stop by your banks ATM, and get the exact amount of cash you were going to spend. Then, you will for sure have to stick to the budget. Thank you Cristan W. for this suggestion!

5. ONLY BUY WHAT YOU NEED!
This one can be tricky. Stores are there to sell you products, especially new and exciting products. Trust me, you don't NEED them. There is a reason those new items are in the middle of the walkway and you have to shimmy around them. The bright, bold colors are calling your name and all of a sudden, YES! I DO NEED THE NEW OREOS! No you don't. Keep to the list. Only buy what you need. There is a reason the name brand, expensive, sugary cereal is at kids' eye level. There is a reason the expensive crackers are in the walkway right in reach. Product placement. They want you to buy them. And, it's usually the very unhealthy, expensive, junk we shouldn't be eating anyway. When was the last time you saw strawberries or a head of lettuce in the aisle? Exactly. If you don't NEED it, and it's not on your list. DON'T BUY IT.

6. COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR SPOUSE
My husband and I have a "budget meeting" every two weeks. (Another post for that subject later). I do the bill paying, budget making, meal planning in our house. However, I don't keep my husband in the dark. Usually a few days before pay day we sit down together and I explain our budget for the next two weeks. We sometimes adjust, if we can or need to, and we agree on the budget, the bills going out, and the meal plan. But, for groceries... We have a budget. We both know the budget. I will buy the groceries and after I get home and have a few minutes I will text him and tell him, "I spent $X.XX at the grocery store today. We have $X.XX  left in the budget for the next two weeks." or "We have NO grocery budget left. Don't spend anything." We communicate a lot through text this way. He will run to the store if we need something we forgot. He brings me the receipt or texts me the amount.
We have a dry erase board in our kitchen. I have been known to put a dollar amount at the top right corner of the board. No one else knows what it is, but it's our grocery budget. Communicate however you can. It's so important to be on the same page with your spouse. Less arguments and confusion the more you communicate.

7. DON'T SHOP HUNGRY!
Thank you Kayla C. for this important tip! Seriously! Don't shop hungry. Eat a nice big meal before you go shopping. You will be less tempted to buy all the junk that looks so tasty when you are starving and shopping. I've been known to grab a candy bar and a water at check out when I'm hungry while shopping. Well, there was a few dollars wasted that could have gone towards something way more important.

8. BUY OFF BRAND!
Yes, there are some things that don't compare Name Brand and Off Brand. But, for canned goods, milk, dairy, some breads, eggs, flour, sugar, seasonings, frozen veggies, etc. it's pretty much all the same. Remember that recall on frozen veggies a few months back? And, almost EVERY brand of frozen veggies were recalled? Because they were ALL the SAME? And came from the same farms? Yet, we will pay one package label $5 and another $2 for the exact same product. In the beginning, do a taste test. Grab an off brand can of tomato sauce with your others and compare it. Most likely it's comparable and you will spend 1/3 of the price for off brand products. Thank you Melanie S. for this tip!

9. BUY IN SEASON PRODUCE!
We love our fresh fruits and veggies in our house, like most people. Just be smart about it. Some fruits and veggies are SUPER expensive during certain times of the year because they are out of season and being shipped in from far away. Know you seasonal fruits and veggie lists and you will save hundreds of dollars throughout the year.

Here is a short list of some seasonal produce:

Fall:
Squash
Pear
Cherries
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Grapes
Huckleberries
Jalapenos
Limes
Mushrooms
Pineapple
Pumpkin
Sweet Potatoes

Winter:
Sweet Potatoes
Brussels Sprouts
Oranges
Dates
Grapefruit
Kale
Kiwi
Pear
Pomegranate

Spring:
Apricots
Artichokes
Asparagus
Broccoli
Collard Greens
Corn
Green Beans
Honeydew
Mango
Lime
Lettuce
Peas
Spinach
Strawberries

Summer:
Apricots
Cucumber
Beets
Cherries
Bell Peppers
Blackberries
Blueberries
Boysenberries
Lettuce
Cantaloupe
Grapes
Corn
Eggplant
Tomatoes
Green Beans
Grapes
Honeydew
Lima Beans
Okra
Plums
Radishes
Raspberries
Strawberries
Watermelon
Zucchini

All-Year
Applies
Avocados
Bananas
Cabbage
Carrots
Celery
Coconut
Olives
Onions
Potatoes

Obviously there are WAY more fruits and veggies to name, but these are kind of the main ones. To save even more money, if you have a spot for a garden, DO ONE! You will have fresh veggies and fruits in the summer and if you have a big enough garden, you could can some of those for winter, which saves a TON of money.

I hope this list helped you. Thank you all for your feedback on Facebook. Let me know your thoughts.

Enjoy the post? Share it below. Leave a comment.

Remember to head over and "Like" The Village: For Moms of Facebook! The link is on the right side of the blog!

HAPPY SAVING!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment